Saturday, April 29, 2006

Beautiful

A friend sent me this picture and I just had to share.

Isn't this lovely?!



*Edited - because Monica asked me about the photo - The east side of the Carrizo plain, in the Temblor Range, about 50 miles due west of Bakersfield , California . Photo taken by Barbara Mathews May 14. 2005

On the knitting front - well, not so much.

STILL working on the hippopomatomus socks. I like the way they're coming out but, dang, it's taking f.o.r.e.v.e.r. to get through this pattern. The yarn is Knit Picks Sock Garden in Star Gazer Lily and I LOVE IT. It's soft and bouncy and the colors are lovely. It's actually a bit brighter than this pic shows, believe it or not. The way the colors are spiraling is really pleasing me. At the rate I'm going on these, I'll have them done in time for Christmas. Next year.


I decided to use my new Koigu with the Crusoe pattern from Knitty. Because I wanted to make sure I used as much of it as possible, I started from the toe up.



Well... it started off okay but take a closer look:


The top of the sock, because it's stranded, isn't as stretchy as the bottom. The bottom of the sock is coming out longer than the top and it just isn't going to work. Dang. Guess I'll have to try something else. I really like this pattern, though. Very easy to knit. When I first saw it I thought, "Yeah, right. I'm not ready for that." However, after I got the Koigu, I took a closer look at it and went "That's IT? That's what I thought would be difficult?" It's a simple, two-row pattern that you can remember after just one glance. Easy! I'll definitely be using this pattern again. Only with a variegated yarn that has more yardage in the ball.

Somehow, I got on a washcloth kick. I bought a ton of Cotton Twist on sale at my LYS with the intention of making nice washcloths. I tried about 430 different washcloth patterns and didn't find any that I liked with this yarn. Finally, I found a round one that may work. I've got several almost finished washcloths lying here, but I haven't sewn them together yet. I just keep staring at them, hoping the washcloth elves will sew them up for me. So far, they haven't made an appearance at my house. Maybe I'll wait a few more days and see if they show up...

4 Comments:

Blogger Lindsey said...

I edited my post to show the photo info, but here it is, just in case you don't see it:

The east side of the Carrizo plain, in the Temblor Range, about 50 miles due west of Bakersfield , California . Photo taken by Barbara Mathews May 14, 2005.

4/29/2006 4:37 PM  
Blogger Lora said...

Love your socks!! I'm on a bracelet kick...That Mary Ella from knitty.com I love making them!

4/30/2006 1:26 PM  
Blogger chneos said...

Question - do you find the Crusoe pattern to be 'catchable'? I was going to start a pair using that pattern, but stopped, as I feared the socks would catch and snag and look awful in no time. Yes/no? Thanks

5/31/2006 9:22 AM  
Blogger Lindsey said...

I only got as far as you see in the pic and then I frogged the entire thing. I haven't re-attempted it. To tell you the truth, I didn't even think about it being 'catchable'. That's a good point! I still want to try it, but I'll do it from the cuff down next time.

6/04/2006 11:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home