Sunday, May 28, 2006

I had a little accident

I accidentally ended up with a bit more sock yarn than I thought I would. I'm not sure what happened. Well, actually, I went to Michigan is what happened. You see, my LYS doesn't carry these yarns and I had to get these while I could. I mean, what if there is a sudden halt on the production of sock yarn and I don't get to try these brands out? Or, what if I'm not able to get back to Michigan for a while and I'd only bought a couple of balls? Or, what if THOSE yarn shops stop carrying this yarn? What's that? Yes, I KNOW I can order these online from a hundred different places, but that's not my point. What's my point? Uh... well... erm... Oh, yes. It was an ACCIDENT. It was out of my hands. Besides, one of my favorite sayings is - everything happens for a reason. There must be a good reason why I ended up with so much sock yarn. I must not question it. I just have faith that it is so.

Wanna see what I accidentally got?


Koigu KPPM! Oh, and Cherry Tree Hill on the far right. Okay, that one I got at my LYS, but only because I didn't think I could get Koigu. Anyway, 4 different colorways of Koigu! You've already seen my attempts using one of the colorways. I ended up frogging it and will try something else.


Austerman Step and Opal. I didn't even realize that the Step had aloe and jojoba in it until after I'd bought it. I'm using the green Step for Cascading Leaves from the Winter 2005 Interweave Knits. Here's a close-up:


I know it's a pretty poor close-up, but that's the best I could do under the circumstances. The circumstances: trying to take pics of all that yarn before Jim got back from doing laps at the pool and had a stroke upon seeing it all. The pattern, like most patterns, would probably be best suited to a solid or very subtle variegated yarn, but I'm fine with how it's turning out. I'm knitting them on 2 size 0 Addis.


Meilenweit Mega Boot Stretch. I got these just because I liked them and the yarn seemed a bit thicker. When I got home from Michigan I found that my LYS is now carrying this yarn. Oh well, there must have Been A Reason why I had to buy this in Michigan.


Assorted yarns. Plymouth Socka, Opal, Trekking XXL, Meilenweit Multieffekt, Online Supersocke 100. I got the Trekking XXL in April, the first time I went to Friends of Wool in Holland, MI. I'd been reading about it and wanted to try it. That night, I decided to use it. I typically pull yarn from the inside of the skein and that's what I tried to do with this. I just couldn't find the end and, after about 5 minutes of fiddling, ended up pulling a huge wad out of the center. Out came a completely separate ball of yarn. Not having used Trekking XXL before I thought, "Oh! Maybe it's just separated into 2 separate balls - one for each sock." However, the inside ball ended up being wound all funky and I threw the whole thing into my suitcase in disgust. After getting home, I re-wound both and found that the inside ball was actually 2 smaller balls. No knots, just completely separate bits of yarn. Weird. Anyway, the entire lot is 114 grams, so I actually came out ahead.


Cotton sock yarns. Regia, Plymouth Socka in 2 colorways, Meilenweit Cotton Fantasy and Meilenweit Cotton Fun. Normally, beige wouldn't be a color I would choose, but the Cotton Fun feels SO soft and nice that I just had to buy it. I HAD to.


Dalegarn Baby Ull in green and red and Plymouth Dreambaby D.K. in two shades of green. The 4 at the bottom are actually a green-gray in light and dark shades, but they didn't photograph well. These are so soft and nice and I thought they'd make nice 2-tone socks.


Knit Picks yarn. Okay, these I DID order from online, but only because they were on sale. You wouldn't want me to miss out, would you? All of these are Sock Memories and they are really thick and soft. I'm looking forward to using these.


More Knit Picks. On the top and far right is Dancing, bottom left is Simple Stripes and the red/orange is Sock Garden. The Sock Garden is really lovely to work with and I've already used the Hydrangea colorway to knit these:



This yarn knits up so nicely and these socks feel great! I knit these on 2 size 1 needles and decided to try a round toe. I like the way the round toe fits. The yarn knits up into a thick, very soft fabric. Of course, purple being my favorite color, I love these socks.


KidSilk Haze in 2 colors, JaeggerSpun Zephyr and Trendsetter Yarns Sorbet. My LYS doesn't carry KidSilk Haze or Zephyr, so I HAD to get these.


Last, but not least, JaeggerSpun Zephyr in 3 different colorways. Okay, I got these online, too, but they're for the Mystery Shawl 3 and 4 groups that I joined. I couldn't decide on which colorway, so I got the 3 I liked best. 8 ounces of each. Woo! I'm going to use one of them for the Amazing Lace project, but I haven't decided which one.

Hey, accidents WILL happen.

11 Comments:

Blogger Lora said...

DANG GIRL!!!! Gonna make a sock?? Geez !! That's lots of yarn!

5/29/2006 8:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You poor thing, if you need me to take some of that sock yarn for storage, I'll be glad to help.

5/29/2006 9:59 AM  
Blogger ~Kristie said...

I'm so glad I found your blog...now I don't feel anywhere near as guilty buying 2 skeins of sock yarn last week!

5/29/2006 3:53 PM  
Blogger Lindsey said...

Yeah, I kind of got a bit carried away with the sock yarn. It didn't seem like that much when I was buying it a few skeins at a time. Whoops.

5/30/2006 1:18 AM  
Blogger Mz Mar said...

whew, sure hope you got all that "stashed" before your dh got home from his laps~~I almost fell outta my chair when the pictures kept going!!lol~~you had waaaayyy too much fun~~lol

5/30/2006 8:32 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

You have a great sock yarn stash! Good for you! Love using Zephyr. I am doing the MSA 4 and using Zephyr Cinnabar - is that the color you purchased? All of them are gorgeous!

5/31/2006 2:52 AM  
Blogger Lindsey said...

I joined the MS4 group, too, but haven't started any of the clues yet. In the Zephyr I ordered Ruby, Peacock and Indigo. Boy, it was really difficult to decide on a color!

The Ruby Zephyr is a deep, rich red. Really lovely!

5/31/2006 9:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a lovely stash -- and you have some of my favorite yarns in there. I think we used the same Austerman Step for the Cascading Leaves socks. It's lovely, but I want to use the pattern again (LOVE that pattern) using a solid color as well.

6/01/2006 2:19 PM  
Blogger Lindsey said...

Me too, Patti. It's a really easy pattern to do and I think it would be even nicer in a solid yarn. Maybe I'll use some of that Baby Ull.

6/02/2006 9:58 AM  
Blogger Deby said...

I love your blog. What do you mean by a round toe on your socks. I want to make sure I am not missing anything!
I love all your sock yarn.

6/03/2006 3:56 PM  
Blogger Lindsey said...

Thanks!

You knit a round toe the same way you decrease for the top of a hat. I got the instructions out of Sensational Knitted Socks.

6/03/2006 5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home