Saturday, June 03, 2006

One of those (knitting) days...

Thursday was one of those days where nothing seems to work out properly. Jim is up in Northern California for a few days and I thought it would be a good time for getting lots of knitting done. Wrong. Oh, so very wrong.

I was slammed with work during the day. On top of that, I was trying to get a brand new program set up and was back and forth on the phone with the software designer. He's the type that thinks you're an idiot if you don't intuitively understand something. Apparently, this is the type of software that conveys it's information by osmosis. Unfortunately for me, my cells seemed to be impermeable that day and I absorbed nothing. He never did finish sneering at helping me, so I've got to call him again on Monday. Oh joy.

I finally got time to sit down with my knitting late that evening. I wasn't in the mood for sock knitting, so I looked through some of my UFO's. Ah, just the thing! I pulled out the blue Via Diagonale that I hadn't worked on since January. It takes f.o.r.e.v.e.r. to knit but it's a good, mindless pattern and I could sit and talk with Mum while working on it. When Mum was in the hospital, I'd sit beside her bed all day and knit on this.

I'd knit about three rows and decided to measure it to see how much longer I had to knit it. Wait a minute. Something looks kind of funny here. Is that a dark blue line line or are my eyes playing tricks on me?


AAAAAARRRRRGGGHHHH!!!! I had to rip out about 40 rows. And you know what? Now that I'm looking this picture I can see ANOTHER mistake a few rows below the dark blue line. Oh, for criminy's sake. I guess this pattern isn't as mindless as I thought. That's actually about 10 more rows of knitting that I have to rip out. Hhhhhhhhhhhh. Great. I guess it's going to go back in the closet to spend some more time with it's sister.

There's nothing wrong with this one, aside from the small fact that I ran out of yarn. Yarn that, apparently, isn't available. The owner of my LYS has been trying to get the dark green color for months, but it's backordered. It doesn't really matter anyway, since it'll be a completely different dye lot. It's OnLine Clip, which is wonderful to knit with, just not in the Olive color. The purse is only about half an inch short at this point, which is fine, but I think it'll look funny with the handles and i-cord edging in the lighter color. Maybe, if my LYS owner can get me another skein of the dark color, it won't look bad if just the handles and i-cord are in a different dye lot. Hmmm, that's a thought.

Okay, so back to Thursday night. After putting the blue Via aside in disgust, I thought I'd cast on for the Adamas shawl. I had some Knit Picks Shimmer in the Happy Dance colorway and I'd been wanting to use it. I grabbed some size 5 circs and started in on it. After knitting through the first few rows, I could see that the stitches were just a bit too loose for my taste. I'd need to go down to a size 4 needle. Sigh. Rip.

Alright, so that didn't work out. Rather than cast on again using smaller needles, I decided to knit on my Koigu socks. Worked on the cuff for a bit and then tried it on. Too big. Crud. Rip.

So.... this is the sum total of my knitting on Thursday.


Actually, it's even less than that because I ripped out 40 rows of the purse. Soon to be 50. Hhhhhhhh.

Yesterday morning I woke up headachey and by mid-morning it was a full-blown migraine. The kind that makes you nauseous and light penetrates like a spike into your brain. Luckily for me, it was quiet on the work front, so I took an Imitrex and went to bed. Since we work out of our home, this was very easy to do. I slept for a couple of hours, took another Imitrex and gradually began to feel better.

By evening I was back to (ab)normal and deciding that steak was sounding pretty darn good. I never cook steak when Jim is here because he doesn't eat red meat. I, on the other hand, LOVE a good steak, so off I went to the grocery store. A nice t-bone sounded good. Not because I know jack squat about different cuts of steak, but because I can give the bone to Alfie to chew on. It's a major treat for him and he only gets a steak bone a couple of times a year. Holy cow (hee), steaks are expensive! The only steaks with bones in them came two to a package. $18 for two steaks! Did I buy them? Yes, I did. I did it for my dog. I think that only another pet owner can understand the logic behind this.

So, the barbequed steak was yummy, the dog was happy and there was knitting to be done. I'd decided to learn how to knit a Sherman heel and toe. Which of my beautiful new yarns was I going to use? I chose a yarn and got to work.


I can hear (blogless) Kelly in Alaska right now thinking "WTF??? All that great new yarn and she used WOOL-EASE???" Yes. Yes, I did. What can I say? I suck.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

gasp choke, that's exactly what I said!! Where did you get that stuff? You don't suck because you bought a steak with a bone for Ollie!

6/03/2006 9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home